Thursday, January 3, 2013

Melaka Series: San Shu Gong Lao Qian Ice Cafe Durian Cendol

Hey guys, I promise this is a short update; partly because this is not a big meal, just some dessert that I have tried at San Shu Gong Lao Qian Ice Cafe.

For a visitor to Melaka, it's hard to miss the San Shu Gong Provision (?) Shop just outside of the Jonker Street Entrance facing the Melaka Fountain Landmark.


You really can't miss this shop. It's usually crowded with lots of tourists. It's just opposite Chung Wah  Chicken Rice Ball shop, another famous landmark for foodies.

Anyway, to continue with my story, I had previously tried the also-famous Durian Cendol at Jonker88 before last year. Due to strong recommendations by many reviewers, I made it a point to have the Cendol there every time I visit Melaka. If you do not know, Cendol is very fattening, due to the high sugar content of the Gula Melaka, and the high-fat content of the coconut, so after having a bowl, I won't have another for the day. So, I've never tried San Shu Gong Durian Cendol before.

After a long walk along Jonker Street on a Friday evening, my brother and I were sweaty, hot and tired, and we wanted a cold dessert to cool down. Our first choice was Jonker88, for reasons above - due to strong recommendations by foodies, however, Jonker88 was terribly crowded. There was a long line outside the shop, and we decided to give up looking for a seat inside. Just as we thought we will never have a cendol for this Melaka trip, I overheard a young girl mentioning that 'San Shu Gong closes around 10 pm'.

Aha! Why not take the opportunity to troop down to San Shu Gong Lao Qian Cafe? In the past, we never liked this cafe because the Cendol there seemed mass-produced and too commercialized, lacking the homely and impromptu feeling from Jonker88.

In order to get that fix, San Shu Gong seemed liked the best answer. We were there around 9 pm, and the crowd had subsided from the shop (I think San Shu Gong closes late on weekend, so don't try going there on a usual weekday that late). We were served immediately - however the seats downstairs were full and we proceeded upstairs.



This was the view upstairs. Were we crowd pullers? After our purchase, another group of tourists came by and bought more cendols!




Voila! This is our the Cendol as it is presented to us. I admit it doesn't look very spectacular and appetizing  Looks like just a lot of plain ice. However, it's well presented with a durian cover (tray?) around the paper bowl. The spoon is already attached - look at bottom right. At first, I didn't know and took a spoon, the waiter stopped me and said nicely that the spoon is included already. Innovative! The durian cover (tray) has another function. Because you needed to stir the ice with the Cendol ingredients, it's quite easy to spill the ice out. The cover (tray) helped to 'cushion' and contain the spilling ice, It's very smart and creative, because it saves the waiter time to clean the tables! They expected lots of ice spillage.

I think when I took the Durian Cendol from the waiter, there was a very clear look of disappointment; because the waiter quickly said, 'Be sure to stir it well to enjoy it.' I think he knew that I was disappointment with seeing so much ice.

Anyway, I tool his advice and stirred it very well:


Now it looks appetising! In fatc, I could smell the frangrance of the durian. You can see the rich Gula Melaka emerging. Ingredients were also generous - I think they measure all the portions, so each serving is very consistent with the amount of ingredients. I actually thought the Durian Cendol was better than Jonker88 - it was more fragrant; I could actually taste durian, and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I had a feast from Nancy's Kitchen earlier. The Gula Melaka and ice portion was just right that it was not too bland, but sweet enough for me. Comparatively, the Jonker88 one was smaller in portion I think, and the durian was not that shiok.

However, the Durian Cendol was significantly more expensive at MYR5.80 - the Jonker88 was only MYR3.50. It just boils down to paying more for quality. The ice coffee here is supposedly famous also, but hey, having coffee at this time = no well-rested sleep! And note calories too!


It was about 10 pm (closing time) when I finished the Cendol, and there was still a crowd downstairs!

Verdict: Yay. Although it's expensive at MYR5.80, you do pay for quality and it is quite tasty. The Cendol is fragrant because of the generous amount of Gula Melaka, durian flavour, and coconut - balanced with a consistent portion of ice. If you happen to be hot and sweaty, the weather is sweltering, yearn for something cold, and just happen to be passing by San Shu Gong Lao Qian Cafe, go ahead and reward yourself! If you are turned off by the price, go for Jonker88 version instead!

P.S: Anyone wants a review for the Jonker88 durian cendol? I could dig up the photos last year if there is a demand...


No comments:

Post a Comment