Sunday, September 21, 2014

Hong Kong: Cafe Landmark (the one and only!) - April 2014

Guess guess where this place is??


Look very atas and high class? It actually is, but it's quite affordable... you could make a trip here for the food.

The title already gave the answer away. This is the famous Landmark Cafe of Hong Kong, located in Central in the shopping mall called 'The Landmark' (duh).


This place wasn't actually on my radar. But I asked my HK friend where I should hang out to see TVB stars, and he suggested visiting this cafe. He added that a lot of TVB celebrities have their high tea at this place, and this is also the place where the paparazzi camp to collect the latest romance gossips. He suggested reservations, but as this was an impromptu decision to visit the cafe, I decided to come by early around 3 pm to get a place.



Incidentally, this place is operated by the Maxim group - it's the upmarket version. Maxim is pretty much popular in HK. Hong Kong people are picky eaters, so this chain basically stands for quality food.

There was a little queue when I arrived. Anyway, I was still early, so I went to jalan jalan a bit first.


I didn't reserve, so I couldn't get a window seat. But as you can see from the pictures, people really dress up nicely to visit this cafe. I was also dressed in my shirt and pants, just for this occasion!
The Maitre d was actually patronising - but I don't think this was unique to this place, HK people normally offer poor service due to their hectic culture.


So it will be good to come to this cafe dressed up.. :)


I had a craving for something sweet. So out of the menu items, I thought I will go for cake or some crepe. I decided to go for the crepe - as you can see, for such an atas place, it isn't really that expensive - about SGD10 for the crepe.


On the other hand, the drinks were a little bit on the steep side - but hey, Singapore is also getting more expensive. Paris Baguette is already charging SGD9 for tea and drinks.... SGD8+ for coffee is still ok in HK,


They have this afternoon tea set for two which I think is quite worth it and worth considering. As I came alone, something simple will do for me.


Coffee was served with cream.I had the mood for milk, so this was latte - there was fresh cream on it.


It was quite fragrant and smooth. I don't add sugar, and the cream provided subtle sweetness. It is expensive for a latte though! But you are paying for the ambiance!

The couple seated opposite was dressed in a suit and nice dress...haha


Here comes the crepe! Very nicely presented... but how's the taste??


Before I sink it, another shot of the crepe - quite a decent portion, though not generous, just right. It was served with chocolate sauce on the side.


Close-up of the chocolate sauce - I think dark chocolate base, because a little bitter mixed with sweetness.


Even the fruits were nicely cut and decorated.


In the crepe, is delicious cream! Wow, very luscious, and there were bits of fruits inside.


Not a nice shot, but this was how I ate it... a little bit of the crepe with cream,,,,


All in all, it was delicious. For this price, I already expected it to be delicious and it was really good.

So what's the verdict???

I would say Landmark Cafe is worth visiting for a 'yay' with a very small 'y'.

It is probably an expensive and atas place in HK. HK is a place for very very rich people. I watch a lot of TVB dramas and you can't even imagine the lifestyle of these rich people.

Landmark Cafe is a place for them, and for a affordable price, you could pay to experience their lifestyle for a while - the high life!

Landmark is recommended for the views, but the food is only so-so. Food is a bit dear on the high side, but the quality is there.

Otherwise, at the Landmark mall, there are also Harvey Nichols Restaurant, and L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon - both also offering good quality high tea food. HSBC even had a discount for Harvey Nichols, at least 20% to 40% discount. I chose Landmark Cafe for the atas experience... haha..

So Landmark Cafe is worth checking out after all. You might be lucky and spot a TVB celebrity. I didn't meet any, but better luck next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment