Monday, April 7, 2014

Ikkousha Hakata Ramen - 7 April 2014

Hey guys,

I'm not a big fan of ramen, but today I happen to be in the vicinity of Tanjong Pagar and it was lunchtime, so I thought why not drop by Ikkousha to try the ramen.

I've heard of Ikkousha for a long time already, and I heard it won best ramen at Ramen Champion Bugis+, but unfortunately, when I was there a few months ago, I foudn that Ikkousha has gone popular enough to start a new branch. They have incidentally left Ramen Champion at Bugis+ but there's still a stall at Changi T3.

Anyway, I decided to pay them a visit to try out the supposedly voted best ramen in Singapore.

The restaurant was located in an interesting corner, below the HDB flat. Quite nicely decorated.


The restaurant wasn't crowded at all. I stepped in about 1.30 pm and it was quite quiet - only about 3 customers.





They passed me this order slip and the menu. I love spicy stuff so I went for the Red ramen... there's also the God Fire option but I will leave it for another time.



It's nice here because the ice water is free (with a tinch of taste of malt). I noticed there's this free boiled eggs! You can take as much as you want. Also during lunchtime, you can ask for as much free rice as you want.


The cooking and order area.


When the ramen came, I peeled 2 eggs - I got greedy..haha


The ramen was fiery red.



But the taste was right. Not too spicy... bark is worse than its bite.

The soup was rich.. very very rich and flavorful..maybe too salty. Perhaps should had ticked the less salty option next time, but this time wanted to taste original first. I do find it very nicely boiled...felt like drinking collagen milk. I think most important part of ramen is the soup base so I really liked it. If I am not wrong, they call it tonkatsu soup base.


As you can see, I had 2 eggs in my soup. I peeled it myself.

The chasu was very thinly sliced, but still tender.



The noodles are very nicely textured.. tender to bite and luscious. You just want to keep eating. I chose the normal option. If you want less carbs, choose the hard option. If you have weak teeth, go for soft - where they will cook longer. I really like the noodles, chewy and tender, not as tough as Bario from Ramen Champion (like chewing bread).



Verdict: overall, I like these ramen. Total bill came to about $20, which is normal for ramen meal.
My verdict is yay with small letter y. Worth a visit, with free eggs (all the time) and rice (during lunchtime). The ramen was good also. However, there are cheaper options around the area, so Ikkousha has a tough fight. Maybe a treat once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment