Thursday, December 27, 2012

Fried Oyster in Melaka - Sin Yin Hoe Resataurant

Had to force myself to write another episode... if I don't continue to write, how am I going to showcase all this food I have tried? Most importantly, I think my views will really provide some inputs whether people will visit a particular place.

Today's episode is about a Fried Oyster stall I have tried in Melaka.

I have always been a fan of Fried Oyster (Or Luak, Or Ah Jian) - ranging from the gooey kind in Taiwan, to the crispy kind in Singapore. Personally, my brother and I prefer the crispy kind, and we used to get our fix from Jalan Berseh Food Centre (Level 1) Singapore - that's where we used to stay and the Fried Oyster is really good. We still patronise the stall now and then, but have cut down the visits due to health reason (it's really oily and we don't want to clog our arteries too much). When my grandmother passed away in June 2012, my brother bought the fried oyster as supper to console the family - the taste remains good. 

Anyway. I have digressed. Today I'm going to showcase the Fried Oyster I have tried in Melaka.

In Melaka, most of you should have heard of the famous Fried Oyster along Jalan Bunga Raya - Boon Leong. My brother and I visited the stall last year and it was crowded even on a Thursday. The stallholder wasn't particularly friendly as well - business was good and he was busy churning the oysters. We didn't get a chance to try it because the queue was super long, and we were full from our visit to the Portuguese Settlement (that's another story).

This visit, we heard that there was a Fried Oyster stall just near our hotel, and most importantly, it's tasty and the auntie who tends the stall is friendly. It's located at the end of Lorong Hang Jabat.

Anyway, we didn't have much difficulty finding it...




And the sign above says...




It wasn't crowded the day we visited the restaurant. It was about Thursday 5 pm and we just had some mille crepe cake  from Nadeje (another episode, I promise). Anyway, we were greeted by the auntie, who asked what we wanted. I told her we wanted to try some of her Fried Oyster. She saw that there were two of us and said in Mandarin 'Two of you? Then 8 rinngit?'

I answered that we just ate and we could do with the smallest portion of MYR6.00.

She smiled and we found a seat to wait for the dish. I took a picture of her frying the dish while we waited.


With much anticipation, here comes the dish...


Looks yummy! And what we liked was that it was fried in the Singapore style (if there's such a style) - the balance between crispy and starchy. My brother wanted to take a picture too...


As expected, it had the taste of our Jalan Berseh Fried Oyster, the starch was crispy, yet there are bits of starchiness that gave it texture. The oysters, though small, was juicy and delicious. Most important of all, it had the taste of LARD! The lard gave the dish flavour, taste and smell, truly a delight! Our Singapore version is considered sanitised compared to this (for health reasons, I think most hawkers don't use lard anymore). There was enough egg mixed into it that gave it fragrance and flavour too.Unfortunately, the chilli wasn't that good - it was a little watery and didn't stand out. However, chilli is only the side, so it's not that important.

And the verdict, yay or nay?

Yay! The Fried Oyster is tasty to begin with, so definitely thumbs up. And it's not far from Jonker Street, if you happen to be around, go and visit the coffeeshop for a quick snack. Most importantly, service is good, the auntie is friendly and there were no super long frustrating queues. I wouldn't think it would lose out too badly to the Bunga Raya Oyster by too much - I can't compare because I haven't fried that before. Given its affordable price, good taste, convenience, and friendly service, go try it out and give me your opinion too! Perhaps we visited on a good day? I would be curious how her service would be on a weekend.

Until the next episode!

3 comments:

  1. Care to include the address? How far to walk from Jonker Street?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not far from Jonker. It's at the end of Lorong Hang Jabat.
    At the intersection of CHung Hwa Rice Balls and San Shu Gong, follow the street Lorong Hang Jabat until the very end (or the next bridge crissing) and you will see the coffeeshop (about a 7 minute walk). It should not be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read a number of reviews saying the oysters are good. Went with a friend to try it out last week. The oysters were so tiny and although it is crispy, overall there is nothing special about it. I have eaten far better fried oysters in SG with much larger oysters. Worse still, my friend and I have diahorrea immediately after the meal. I have nothing against the stall or your blog. Just want to relate my experience only.

    ReplyDelete